A Mentee That Truly Inspires...

Michael : A Mentee that inspires greatly…

I remember meeting this young man some years ago. It was my first visit to a public school not too far away from my working place. With the aim of mentoring young people in the neighbourhood where I worked, I moved from one school to the other, making friends with young people. It’s exactly three years ago, since I met with Michael , and other interesting young people who have topped my list of youths with great minds. Michael was the head prefect in his set, and one of the brilliant students who devotes time to school and academic works. He was introduced to me by
the School Counselor. His passion for what he believes in is really intriguing, I remember the first time he told me he aspires to be a “Farmer”. And, that he hopes to study Agriculture at the University of Abeokuta. Hearing that from him was like waking up from a “bad dream” (smiles). “not from a brilliant chap who has got what it takes to study Medicine, Law, Accountancy etc, why Agriculture!?…I muttered” the good thing was that, Michael wouldn’t bulge by what people say or be dissuaded by others view of his course of choice. He was simply determined to study AGRICULTURE. He had a reason and a vision why he chose Agriculture.

In 2009, he graduated with the best result from Opebi Grammar School, and was selected for an award as one of the students with best result in Education District IV, Oshodi, Lagos State.

In 2010, he scored hundred and ninety (290/400) in JAMB. A very rare output and this prompted JAMB officials to contact Michael ’s Principal for interrogations to ascertain if he was brilliant enough for obtain such academic feat!

In recent years, he was paired with a “Big Brother” Mentor Olaniyi who truly took him as a little brother. Michael got this to say about his Mentoring experience:
“My destiny would not have been completed had I not had contact with RSN because they have helped to mould me into what I am today....if there is anything I have learnt from my mentor, I say two things 1. He has unknowingly taught me to be a giver, I did not know until my friend reacted to my behavior. He has taught me the meaning of "Resource Sharing Network" 2. Secondly he has been there to encourage and celebrate with me in almost every time I can't say I have been the best Mentee but am truly grateful to GOD for Mr. Olaniyi and Mrs. Tosin Taiwo and in general RSN”

Today, Michael is a 200-Level undergraduate, studying Agriculture at the University of Abeokuta.Despite the many challenges, he strives on, excelling in his class with a cumulative GPA of 4.0. Once again, let me use this medium to extend a profound gratitude to people who have supported our works financially, most times, funds received are extended to young people like Michael who need some push ups.

Thank YOU.

*for good reasons, we have decided to use a pseudo-name (Michael) for our young mentee. Michael is not real name. :)

Comments

Popular Posts