PART ONE: Visit to Some Public Schools As Children Resume New Academic Term..




[I do not know why I have to write this update, [grins] however, a good part of me felt like expressing some thoughts and experience, so I hope you do enjoy..reading]



As I made a quick visit to some schools yesterday and today. It was so exciting to watch the children hop from one place to the other, some with tattered uniform yet with glowing smiles... others with so clean ones, looking so brightly coloured like the rainbow. They play together, walk around the compound and in some cases scream so loudly, having so much fun! [Oh mine. Someone here is missing her childhood times  it truly feels good to be a child, so free.. with little or nothing to worry about. Certainly, adulthood presents a totally different ball game;) totally DIFFERENT...with so many things to be serious about :/]. 

The look in the eyes of the kids was so inviting, and it suggests they have missed the environment so much, and have lots of catching up to do with their friends and teachers. 

And, while I stood by the doorway, waiting to be attended to by the Head Teacher. I realised that some of these kids had no sandals on...yet, they didn't let this affect them...as they cheer on with so much joy.. It was their first day at school and it feels so good to be back in school, after such a long period. Oops! Since JULY. 

Alas, my waiting moment was over and it was my turn to meet with the HT, and I was ushered unto a seat...a comfy chair...hohohoh.  "How may we help you, ma'am, you have something for us?. I smiled and did a short introduction and explained our intent of visitation. #BagSwap. Bingo! It seems certain that she had struck gold in the mud, as she yelled out.. "we have been looking for you people. Welcome". I answered, ma'am, I don't understand... hope nothing? No, it is not you per se. I mean we need NGOs to come and help us, We need more NGOs to visit our children. These children need so much help and assistance...

Perhaps, her recount was not different from the interaction we had with another class teacher in a different school who said, "We have so many children who do not bring food to school, and while others eat in class they cry..because they have nothing to eat. In such situations, we, teachers just have to do something..we have to use our money to buy them food." Many times, we go all out, doing this for the children. It is alarming, that parents send their kids to school without breakfast nor money for feeding. Howbeit, another sad thing is that, some don't even have writing notes!!" While some of these are Orphans, others are not. These are kids who come from very poor homes where their parents cannot even afford 3 square meal". At this point, the "Mother Theresa" in me wanted to cry..*grinnnns* but, I smiled instead, and listened carefully to all they have to say.

Welcome to the world of public school children in rural communities.

Comments

Popular Posts